This beautiful home was probably built prior to the 1889 annexation of Lakeview township into the City of Chicago. In 1892 a Mr. Lewis Bishop is listed in the city directory as living at this address, 1111. It exhibits the elements of the Queen Anne style of architecture that was popularized after the 1876 World’s Fair in Philadelphia. These elements include the combination of stone and wood and the complicated footprint of the building with no flat sides. From the street the façade of the building is dominated by the Joliet Limestone of the first floor level. On the left side facing the front the stone forms a massive base to the turret above. At the second floor level this turret is sided in narrow board wood siding as is the rest of the façade. The Joliet limestone is also used in the foundation. The original roof would have been cedar shingled. The roof is a side gambrel design.
The home is entered in the center through an open porch with columns above the limestone base and the original railing design. Above the porch there was once a widows walk which was removed in the restoration. Be sure to look at the before photos which show a house covered in asphalt siding and the stone painted white. The transformation is awesome.
The front door with an oval window is original. There is a small vestibule and entrance to the reception hall is through French doors. Take note of the oval doorknobs. To the left is the original front parlor with original oak flooring and Quarter sawn oak moldings around the doorways and windows. These moldings incorporate a small egg and dart detail. The leaded glass windows are original.
Towards the back of the front parlor is the room that would be called the family parlor. The focal point of this room is a beautiful oak mantel with mirror above a shelf and columns on either side. On either side of the fireplace are built-in benches which cover the radiators. This room opens out onto the garden with French doors and a small balcony.
Back in the central hallway is the magnificent staircase to the second floor. The style is Eastlake with unusual turned balusters and the remarkable newel post. At the landing there is a leaded glass triangular window with frosted glass. The landing creates a large space that is unique.
On the second floor there is a bath at the top of the stairs and then a turn in the hall to one bedroom. The hall continues to the front of the house where there is a master bedroom suite. The master bedroom has a bay window overlooking the front of the house and in this space is another leaded glass window.
On the third floor there is a full bath and a sitting room, and further along the hall are two more bedrooms. The front bedroom has two diamond windows and a small center window which are directly above the bay below. The home was once used as a Bed and Breakfast.