This home built in 1891, according to a building permit issued to Mrs. Lydia Cook. The original address was 1072. In 1900 Mr. Charles Pece, a clerk in a bookstore, is listed as occupying the home as head of a household of five persons. It has been reinvented to suit a modern life style. The current owners purchased the home in 2003 and proceeded to do a gut rehab. In the process they discovered structural problems and the remains of an “inventive” rehab in the 1980s that created more problems. The 2003 solution has added amenities to the home and given it a new look.
The house originally had a very small entrance porch that was attached to the façade. It was torn off in favor of a full front porch similar to many in the area. The front windows were retained on the first floor and relocated on the second floor. The windows are quite large and it is clear from their size that they filled the home with light in the era of gas fixtures. The circular window at the attic level is an addition.
In the process of creating the new façade, some space was gained for the interior reception hall. It has been extended forward by several feet. The openings to the room to the right which would have been the front parlor and the room towards the back which would have been the family parlor are in approximately the same location as in the original home. The original woodwork has not been preserved.
The function of these rooms has been changed most dramatically with the dining room which now occupies the front parlor. This room opens into the kitchen which is now located where the original dining was.
The kitchen is now the center room of the house and it serves the culinary talents of one of the owners. The cabinets are cherry, the center counter is polished quartz and the side counters butcher block. This room opens into a casual entertainment area at the rear of the home where the kitchen and back door were in the original. With the addition of an interior wall the back door was separated from this room and a hallway created for storage. There is a powder room off this hallway. From the kitchen there is a doorway to another room, the “Gentlemen’s room” painted in a deep chocolate brown with a central fireplace. At one time there was a corner fireplace in this room.
The base of the staircase has been extended because of the changes in the façade. The stairs have been enclosed where the original probably had a spindled baluster. At the top of the stairs is a full bathroom. This space had been made into a laundry room with the bathroom door around the corner. The position of these two rooms has been reversed.
The front bedroom takes up the full width of the house with closets under the rafters. The second bedroom is reached as you make the turn in the hallway. It has windows to the east in a dormer which is barely noticeable.
In order to create a larger master bedroom suite, the hall was shortened and the space redesigned to create a bedroom and bath. A full wall of cabinets has been added in the space that was once taken up by the back stairs. The bathroom is all new construction.
Please visit the backyard and deck and admire the garden.