5840

Refreshment Stop Rear Garden/Patio

Please join us for refreshments in this urban oasis garden of the backyard of this two-flat. Enter along the north side of the building.

This Prairie Style brick two-flat was designed by Architect Leon E. Stanhope in 1909. The first building permit was issued February 25, 1909, for the first owner, O.W. Ballard, a civil war veteran and real estate developer who built the building so that both units would be initially occupied by family members. Thus, perhaps, the unique separate entrances without a single foyer. The building’s mason was A.E. Anderson. The building cost was $10,000.

Stanhope was a fairly prominent architect of single family homes who had also designed the original Anti Cruelty Society building. Another Edgewater home he designed was the Queen Anne style home at 5347 N. Lakewood. Stanhope was Deputy Building Commissioner at the time of the 1903 Iroquois Theater fire and headed up that investigation. Stanhope was the partner of J.E. Pridmore, the more prominent architect partner whose several works still grace the Edgewater Beach neighborhood. (See Church of the Atonement addition and Points of Interest)

The original address for the lot was 2737 N. Kenmore, becoming 5840 when the city’s numbering changed that same year. Kenmore was previously named Goodwin until 1890, when it became Kenmore.

The lot was probably originally a double lot (50’ x 150’), but the northern five feet were probably sold prior to the late ‘60s to make way for the “4+1” built in 1969. [Lot 3 in Block 2 in Cochran’s addition to Edgewater].

The building has two spacious apartments. The first floor apartment is duplexed into the basement, has four bedrooms and three baths. The second floor apartment has four bedrooms and two baths. The second floor front is stucco over brick. The mansard and porch roofs are green French tile. In the Prairie Style there are ribbon windows across the front sunrooms, main bedrooms project south, and dining rooms north, for there to be east/west light and air circulation.