The permit was issued July 16, 1910, to owner Axel Edwin Swenson to build two six-flats at 5722-24 and 5726-28. The architect was the prominent Swedish-born Andrew Sandegren, considered one of the most important of Chicago apartment building designers in the 1893-1925 period. Sandegren was best known for blocks of larger courtyard-style apartments. Axel Swenson, the owner, was also born in Sweden and he intended this development to be his own home as well as an investment property. He, his wife and three children lived in one of the apartments at 5722 until 1925, when he sold the two buildings to Phillip Sheridan for $143,000, at what must have been a handsome profit (the 1910 construction value that would have been specified on the permit has not yet been found).

Today, only the six-flat at 5726-28 remains, the building’s twin having been lost to fire decades ago. The shadow of the lost building shows on the southeast edge of the current building, where the twins abutted. The building of golden brick with gray color brick for the base and limestone banding around the two five-sided front bays at each level. Decorative squares accent the area under the windows. At the top of the facade is the original cornice. The owner and the neighbors take pride in the lovely landscaping that takes advantage of the Kenmore shade trees.

This stately, yellow brick six-flat, with twin free standing columns at the entrance, is now an eight-unit condominium that had been converted in 1999-2001. The entrance through a central glass door with arched window above is framed by limestone columns and limestone forming an angled arch with a decorative keystone at the top. The lobby looks very much like it did when first designed by Mr. Sandegren, with mosaic tile floor, marble walls, and dark wood railings and trim going up the roof top skylight brightening stairwell to the third floor south penthouse that is in today’s tour.

The apartment on our tour, Unit 3 South, is currently for sale and sales information about the unit is available. The owners had lived in the building as renters before the condominium conversion. When they then moved upstairs to this unit, they were able to bring along or obtain original wood work, door knobs, built-ins and stained glass windows from the developer and contractors in order to make their apartment as authentically restored as possible. For example, all floors are original except for the remodeled kitchen and one bathroom. Some of the design flourishes on molding columns were made from special molds to match the originals.

The apartment gets good light, starting with the front sunroom with its five windows and a mosaic tiled floor with a decorative border. This five-sided design gives a distinctive look from both the inside and outside of the building. The opening to the sunroom features beautifully restored French doors. The gracious living room with fireplace and book shelves on either side is also light and bright. The remaining rooms extend off the central corridor which leads to the kitchen and pantry. The unit has 1800 square feet, with three bedrooms, two baths, a sunroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, pantry and rear deck.

The dining room has a bay window with stained glass and a beamed ceiling. The renovated kitchen features stainless steel appliances, a breakfast bar and a large pantry. Off the back is a nicely appointed rear deck. An additional attic storage place is available for this unit, but it is not open today.