5721

This well known landmark in Andersonville has been a saloon and restaurant since it was built in 1894 with an addition in 1909. The architect and original owner is unknown according to the Andersonville commercial historic district application. Among the previous occupants were E.C. Lulling and O.E. Olson, Felice’s Round Table, The Arkadash Cafe, The Kingfisher Restaurant and currently the Pork Shoppe Restaurant. When it was built it served the people attending funerals at Rosehill Cemetery as the Cemetery private entrance drive was just across the street. The building was built before many of the other buildings on Clark Street.

This comer building is rectangular in shape, two stories high with a flat roof not clearly visible from the street level. The building is clad in limestone with a pressed metal bay on the south end of the second floor and a pressed metal turret on the comer of the north elevation. The ground floor has been altered and is now clad in painted siding. There is a comer entrance, flanked by fixed display windows. The first floor has had some alterations. The current lighted sign dates from the era of the Round Table restaurant in the late 20th century.

The second story is clad in rusticated limestone with single one-over-one double-hung windows. The protruding bay on the south side of the building has various scrolling designs that are similar to the rounded turret on the comer. The turret retains its rounded tower roof.

There is a bracketed cornice between the bay and the turret, made of pressed metal and painted white, just like the bay and turret. All these elements indicate the influence of the Queen Anne style on Commercial architecture. This was also a residence for the owner and so the apartments above are in the style of the era.