5249

This large family home was built in the late 1890s in John Lewis Cochran’s original Edgewater development. Although it has been covered with siding, many of its original details are still visible.

The design of the home shows the influence of the classical revival architecture of the late 19th century.

The double columns are original. The porch has been rebuilt and the original curve around the south side of the building has been removed. The brackets under the eaves and the windows are original.

The large front door conveys a gracious entrance to the house. The home still has its original oak flooring on the first floor. The church purchased the home in 1913 and, since that time, there have been some changes made to make it functional for institutional use. The structure of the home remains essentially the same.

After passing through the small entrance hall, you enter the reception hall, which is also the entrance to the second floor, on wide and deep steps. At the landing is a section of the original turned wood baluster. The right hand railing was destroyed by a fire and a replacement installed. This reception hall connects the front parlor, the second parlor and the kitchen at the back. The second parlor features a fireplace which has been painted but which is probably oak. This room has also been called the library.

Just past the second parlor is the dining room with wood beamed ceiling. Off the dining room is a doorway that opens into the butler’s pantry and storage area. The kitchen is not original.

Because the second floor is used for special offices, we will not see it today. It contains four large bedrooms following the format of the first floor. The staircase continues to the third floor, which contains two rooms which were probably servants rooms.

The parish hall now extends into the backyard of this home.