1635

This beautiful home was built in 1905 on a street which was then called Edgewater Terrace. The original owners, John J. and Mary Blindauer, spared no expense in the construction of this masterpiece. The architects were Burtar and Glassmann. It is one of the earliest homes on the block, which is a part of Edgewater Heights on the original plat maps. The style is a city version of Queen Anne, with a flat fa├žade and elegant front porch. The detailing of the woodwork on the front porch is an indication of the craftsmanship of the builder, Peterson and Company. The columns are Corinthian and the dentil design of the fascia boards indicates the classical revival forms. The front window is a combination of clear glass and beveled glass above in a floral design. The turned wood design of the porch has been enhanced by the careful use of color. Unlike many of the more modest homes and two-flats of the area, the beautiful wood design extends to the handrail on the staircase.

The Blindaur family lived in this home from 1905 to 1975 until Regina, the last of the three unmarried children, died. Neighbors tell us that the family loved the front porch and could often be seen sitting there in the summer months. In the days before air conditioning, this porch must have been one of the coolest places to sit, since it faces north and would be in shade all day.

The entrance to the home is through an oak and glass door with egg and dart classical molding. Once in the reception hall, the beauty and uniqueness of the home is apparent. From this hall, the woodwork details are visible in all directions. Each doorway is framed in oak. Within that frame, at the upper 10 inches, is a decorative screen of narrow oak boards with branch tracing of a wreath design and decorative ribbons. This decorative element is repeated throughout the first floor of the home, creating a warm and elegant interior. This design of the fretwork is repeated in the stained glass in the reception hall.

The oak staircase to the second floor is gracious, with turned wood balusters. The newel post features a “brag button” which indicated that the owner has completed paying for the house. At the top of the staircase the hallway leads to the bedrooms and bath.

The front bedroom was the original master bedroom with attached sitting room. The current owners have changed this area to a sitting room with fireplace. Down the hall are a guest room and the master bedroom suite. In the guest room is a unique solution to the problem of small closets in older homes. A large closet has been created in the wall with an invisible door that looks like the wall. Although more space is given to storage, it seems to disappear since there is no door or door framework visible in the room. Across the hall from the guest room is the main bathroom which has a sink installed with an antique hall tree and mirror. In the back of the home is the master bedroom, which has been constructed from two rooms.

Retracing your steps to the reception hall, you will walk through the first and second parlors. In the first parlor, a mirror is installed along one wall, replacing what would have been a fireplace in an older home. Since the home was heated with gas, the need for a fireplace was deemed “old fashioned,” but the room called for a focal point, so the mirror was used. The mirror has the effect of enlarging the room and providing a reflection of the reception hall and the beautiful wood fretwork. Between the first parlor and the second, the fretwork and tracings are enhanced by the introduction of two Ionic columns which create a narrowed entrance gateway. The aura of this grand showcase of craftsmanship is one of elegance. One cannot look at this woodwork and not see that the owner values beauty and order and craftsmanship.

The second parlor, or family parlor, offers a more intimate gathering place. A small room is tucked behind the staircase just off this room. In the second parlor, current owners found the opportunity to hang a hand-crocheted tablecloth on one of the larger walls. Through this room you enter the dining room.

At the entrance to the dining room are six-panel pocket doors in oak. The dining room features a custom built-in hutch, which is angled into the room from a flat wall. The Ionic columns and fretwork are repeated in the hutch. An oak plate-rail surrounds the room. It has three grooves which will accommodate large platters as well as decorative plates. The McNabbs found the chandelier, which matches the design of the home perfectly. The kitchen is just off the dining room. It has been remodeled with oak cabinets. It is a compact area and with storage space at a premium the new owners are studying their options. From the kitchen, you exit to a beautiful deck and backyard garden.