This greystone two-flat is one of the earlier ones built in the area. Along with the matching one next door, they were built by Theodore Scheurmann in 1904. The mason was Frederick Strobehn. This signals a change in the original plan of the developer, William D. Fischer, who had been selling 50 foot lots to people building single family homes.
This classic building has a wooden entrance porch of simple straight forward design. Above on the parapet is a limestone dentil, a reference to the classical revival which influenced much of the housing construction in the late 19th Century.
The craftsmanship of this building is excellent with beautiful oak woodwork throughout. The entrance hallway bypasses the living room to the dining room which makes an effective traffic pattern. In the dining room, you will see a replacement oak sideboard that the current owner found and refinished. The original was removed in 1942. The living room with original woodwork has a modernized brick gas burning fireplace. This is on the short list of restoration projects for the room. Otherwise, the beautiful oak moldings on the windows and doorway set the tone for the room.
All the oak six-paneled doors and the oval door knobs and plates are original. Off the dining room is the blue bedroom of modest size. Off the hallway to the kitchen are two bathrooms. The original with claw footed tub has a new stained glass window by Harmony Art Glass. The second bath was installed in the former pantry in order to create a walk-in shower. It too has a new stained glass window.
The kitchen was remodeled some years back and seems to be a setting for some interesting collectors items. Across the back is a porch where the owner keeps a number of projects. The back door is original. A second bedroom off the kitchen is the setting for some additional collectibles and art work. The beautiful maple floor has been refinished.