This home, built from J.L. Cochran in 1899, was featured in the March 19, 1899 edition of the Chicago Sunday Tribune. It was one of several models that Cochran made available to prospective home buyers who visited Edgewater. As with many of the homes Cochran had built, the architects name does not appear on the permit and is, therefore, lost. In a special booklet that Cochran had published, a drawing of this home appeared along with a floor plan. From this evidence and the pattern of the floor boards, we can see what alterations have been made. The third floor pedimented gable, with carved wood fan-like design, creates a high relief on the façade of the home. Note the decorative molding above the bay window of the second floor.
The original porch was open with square balusters. The pediment above the stairway was covered with aluminum siding in the 1960s and restored by the current owners with a decorative molding. The original siding of the home was a narrow board which appears frequently in the neighborhood. It is probably still underneath the current siding.
The front hall has been opened up with wider doorways and the removal of some doors. The staircase and landing are original as are the stained glass windows above the stairs.
The original living room and dining room have been combined to make one large room. The diagonally placed back to back fireplaces on the south wall were removed (note the floor boards). The black marble wood burning fireplace replaced them. At the back of this long room are French doors that open out into the dining room which was once the library. A decorative ceiling medallion was added by the current owners. The dining room window treatment includes decorative iron rods that were original to the house and discovered in the attic.
In the 1920s, the Gawne family enlarged the kitchen and added a first floor screen porch on the rear and a second floor sleeping porch. The tin ceiling was probably installed at that time. Examination of the maple flooring will show the size of the original kitchen which was revealed when the current owners removed decades of old linoleum. The chandelier in the kitchen with amber glass shades was originally in the dining room. The original pantry was made into a powder room while the pine wood cabinet was preserved and is now placed in the back hallway. The back staircase indicated that the original owners had servants to care for this lovely home.