1467

This three-story, six-unit building was constructed in 1917 for a Swedish family named Thilly. In 1979, it was converted into condominiums. The horizontally banded-based fa├žade of the building shows a strong sense of geometric form. The parapet has a stepped design with a diamond-shaped inlay. Yellow brick frames the recessed bay windows on both the first and the second floors. This same yellow brick is used in a pattern to create quoins on the corners. The central entrance is framed, thus giving it a shadow-box effect. The beautiful garden in the front of the building and along the parkway creates a framework of bright color which compliments the strong and simple design of the building. This garden, thanks to the efforts of the present owner, combines annuals and perennials to create a panoply of color extending from spring to fall.

Before ascending to the third floor apartment, look at the stately, narrow, stained glass panels with a floral design, on either side of the main door. This combined with the woodwork, which is birch stained to look like mahogany, creates an elegant atmosphere to the entrance hall.

The apartment, with its railroad-style floor plan, is very familiar to many of us. All the woodwork has been stripped, sanded and refinished. In the living room, there is a red brick fireplace. It has a massive brick mantel and a simple but unusual bracket design which lends a Swedish air. The baby grand “art” piano and many other pieces in the room are of great interest if you share the owner’s love of old things - each has a story to tell. Feel free to ask the owner about her favorite junk shop finds. Off the front hallway is the largest bedroom, whose southern exposure seems to bathe it in light. The bathroom has been remodeled. It features an old sink rescued from the Ambassador Hotel. The medicine cabinet, framed in natural birch, is original, but with an open shelf added on.

The dining room woodwork is oak, a departure from the birch in the other rooms. Part of the restoration included building new oak drawers for the original built-in china hutch. The library, or second bedroom, is off the dining room. The woodwork in this room is birch so the door was made with oak on one side and birch on the other.

The present owner redesigned the kitchen to improve the work space. The storage space is enlarged by a custom designed free-standing wooden cabinet. The pantry was removed to provide an eating area. Be sure to step out onto the enclosed back porch, now used as an art studio, and take a look at the view of East Andersonville. It is a remarkable city neighborhood with a great variety of housing and many beautiful gardens.