The permit to build this large home and the one at 1316 was issued on April 29, 1899 to John Lewis Cochran. Both these homes are in Cochran’s 4th Addition to Edgewater. Although the house had been altered many times in its 90 year history, it retains much of its original beauty. The Roy Hill family moved to this home in 1919 but, by 1931, plans were made to alter the home into a two-flat. All the alterations were made to the rear of the building. In 1988, it was de-converted from the two-flat space back into a single family dwelling.
This post Victorian home shows the influence of a variety of styles. The open front porch is typical of many homes built in Cochran’s subdivisions. The upper story of the house was shingled, while the lower story was sided in narrow board siding. The styling of the shingling curving down to the porch roof indicates the influence of Dutch Colonial style. The original roof would have been cedar shingled too.
Inside, the front hall reflects the sensitive replacement of the original banister, which was removed during the conversion to a two-flat. All of the original oak woodwork remains in place, with egg and dart moldings and crowns above each opening. In the living room is a small gas fireplace with the original hearth tiles and an altered surround and mantel. Off the dining room to the right was the original kitchen with maple floor and pine woodwork. The back wall of the 1900s house would have been at the back wall of this room. The hallway off the dining room leads to a modern kitchen/living-area that the current owners had a hand in designing.
On the second floor, the stairway opens into a large room with a bay window which might have been a bedroom. To the front of the house is a the master bedroom and sitting room. Another bedroom/office is located off the large open room. The flooring throughout the second floor is a narrow board oak.