This charming home was built in 1904 by Danish born builder and developer Robert Christiansen who came to Chicago in 1882 and built many buildings. No architect was named on the permit, but it may be the first building on this block. The first owner was German-born Carl Witt who is listed at this address in 1905. After about ten years he sold the house to Swedish born Andrew Lindquist who was a carpenter.
It has been recently restored after sitting in poor condition for years. Since most of the block is two-flats, or three-flats this house stands out for its charm and design. The porch had been enclosed so the Oakleafs took up the challenge to find out what the original might have looked like. The straight spindles are in keeping with the age of the home but because it is a new porch the railings had to be higher to be up to current code. The bay on the second floor level indicates a style prior to Queen Anne because it is rectangular with simple straight lines. The home is front gabled and fits the full width of the 30 foot lot except for the side walkway.
The entrance to the home is to the left side with an ogee designed window left of the door. The air lock vestibule is intact and the original wainscoting is still in place, which you will see it in other places in the house. What you notice especially is the beautiful oak wood of the six-panel doors and framing. In the hallway is the staircase with two steps up to a landing that opens into a guest closet and a second ogee designed window. The spindles are replacements but the newel post is original as are all the oak floors.
The entrance to the living room may have been altered since it is now an arch. Three front windows open onto the porch. The living room is quite large because the dividing wall between the front parlor and the family parlor was removed long ago. The family parlor area has a wide bay with two angled windows to allow in more light. The entrance to the dining room is a wide arch which the owners expanded to improve the flow of the rooms.
The dining room and kitchen have been redesigned to make more open space. The dining room opens onto a small porch through French doors which replaced an older window. The wall between the dining room and the kitchen has been removed to open up space and for a counter with stools. The kitchen cabinets are cherry and the appliances stainless steel. The stove is located where the original back door used to be and a window has been added next to the stove. The hallway leading back to the front has a new bathroom with hexagonal tiles on the floor and new fixtures that are in keeping with the style of this older home. Notice the subway tile on the wall and the glass tile detail along the wainscoting. In this hallway is also a custom made six-panel door that leads to the basement. Note the smaller size.
The staircase makes a turn after a landing and at the landing is a rebuilt window with its original four sectioned design. A wainscoting molding in oak along the staircase is a replacement of the original. On the second floor the fir floors have been restored to their original beauty after being covered with linoleum for years.
The space on this second floor is a little bit surprising for its size. The master bedroom is the full width of the home and you can see the inside view of the bay with three windows. A closet has been added along one wall. The second bedroom has windows similar to those in the parlor below, with space for a headboard for a queen size bed and a beautiful original closet door. Across the hall from the bedroom is the full bath with new travertine tile on the floor and the walls. The Jacuzzi type tub makes this a most luxurious bath room. To the back of the house are two more bedrooms. Both are children’s rooms with a view out to the backyard. The owners have restored this beautiful home carefully with wonderful attention to the details. Hopefully it will be enjoyed by families for another hundred years.