This beautiful home was built as the parsonage for the church next door. The architect was Oscar Johnson and the original cost was $13,000. It was constructed in 1922 after the church was completed. The contractor was E. P. Nelson and Company.
The style influence is Arts and Crafts and the design is American Foursquare. The wide overhang of the eaves shows an influence of the Prairie school. The façade is asymmetrical with the entrance door to the side with an entrance porch and brick pillar. Across the front of the building is a row of windows, called ribbon windows because they are in one window opening. These are replacement windows matching the original restored windows throughout the house. The building is built of a darker red brick than the church but the architect added some square limestone accents that match those on the church.
The front door is original and it opens into a small vestibule. To the right is the living room where the front windows form one wall. At the far end is a fireplace with book cabinets and the original doors which have three panels at the top and one large panel below. On either side of the fireplace are two stained glass windows in a geometric design that uses a divided square. The woodwork in this room and in other places in the house had been painted and it has been lovingly restored to its original color. The woodwork might be birch. Take note that there are no crown moldings around the doors and windows because in 1922 that interior style was passé. In this room are some elements of a collection of player pianos that the owner had restored.
The dining room is painted in a deep red and is accented by an unusual stained glass light fixture over the table. Along the north wall is a row of windows similar to those in the front. Around the ceilings of both the living and dining rooms are beautiful wood cornices that frame the room. At one end of the dining room are double French doors opening onto a porch. There are two other entrances to the dining room.
A back hallway connects the front hall to the back of the house and is at the base of the stairs to the second floor. The staircase makes one turn and the balusters and handrail are original. At the landing is a stained glass window with larger panels of glass that match some of the glass in the church. This type of opalescent glass was first created by Tiffany and Company. At the top of the stairs is the study. Towards the front is the master bedroom with master bath. Towards the back is a restored and expanded period bath with basket weave floor tiles and a Hoosier cabinet from the owner’s family home.
Just past the bathroom the hall opens into a guest bedroom with an adjacent office. This is an adaptation of the space since the hallway bathroom was expanded. All the doors and framework are original so the moving of walls and changing of entrances was done with the upmost care.
Back on the first floor the hallway opens to a butlers pantry with new built in cabinets and a slate tile floor. The small bath is original to the house but with new fixtures. The kitchen has been designed to fit in the original space by closing off a window and doorway. The cabinets are oak. The window in the kitchen is original. The kitchen connects to the sun porch which has been winterized and opens onto the backyard patio. The garage across the back has been re-sided and a small chicken coop added for the four beautiful and happy hens.
Please enjoy some refreshments at the Huffer Residence during your tour.