This home designed by architect Berkley Brandt in 1906 has many Prairie elements including the wide overhanging eaves and the ribbon windows. Berkley Brandt is the architect of one other house in Lakewood Balmoral that was built in 1905. Our research shows that he built few homes in Chicago and may have moved from the city sometime in the teens. The wide full façade front porch is supported by both brick columns and paired six inch timber beams. It is a two story porch with open deck above. This wide porch reinforces the horizontal emphasis of the Prairie School. The entrance steps are flanked by brick pillars with Prairie design planters. The entrance door is the original oak door with divided lights and fixed panel of glass above. The hip roof is tiled and there are dormers at the third floor level on three sides.

The original owners of the home, Henry and Emma Schroth lived there for only a few years. They had three adult children who were listed at the address in 1910, Emma, Rudolph and August. That year George Dawson purchased the home. He was known for his work and involvement in the Illinois Athletic Club.

The front door opens into the front hall, which is the center of the house. A ceramic floor tile has been installed here for this high traffic area. All the oak woodwork is original on the windows and door frames. The two pocket doors that separate the living room and dining room from the hall are in the same design with two panels on the lower part and three sections above. The floors are quarter sawn oak.

On the right is the large and gracious living room with a fireplace on the north wall in golden oak. The wreath design on the mantel is in the Beaux Arts style. Because of the large space the current owners have divided the area in two with the sofa and chairs near the fireplace and the south area is set up as a dining room with an elegant stained glass chandelier and sideboard. The windows to the south are of two types: smaller fixed windows with six divided lights and double hung windows on either side. These windows are divided in the one-third/two-thirds proportion with the upper panel being in six divisions like the center windows and the lower panel clear. Beamed ceiling adds to the elegance of the living room.

Along the east wall of the living room is a set of windows with the upper divided panel and the casement windows below. This is above a long window bench that is a kind of square bay extending out from the main exterior wall of the house.

The original dining room has been reconfigured as the family room. The bay along the south wall is built with four casement windows and the fixed divided windows above. The window to the west is in the same design but a wider format. The ceiling is beamed.

From the front hall is a passageway to the kitchen with a door to the basement. The kitchen has been updated with new counters and appliances. There is a seating area near the back door. The original back door is oak with a similar divisions of the panels two over one. In that area there is also another unusual window with divided panels of glass.

The front hall provides access to a small powder room under the staircase. It has an original wooden toilet tank and a small custom window. At the staircase the newel post has a carved cross like the well known symbol of a Maltese cross. The balusters are like the screen we have seen in several other homes on the tour this year. The staircase is winding and extends out from the wall of the house with three windows on the curve. Above the windows in the four over one design are fixed glass windows that may have had leaded or stained glass originally.

The staircase opens into a wide hall with maple flooring. The woodwork on this floor has been stripped in some places but the doors were painted and the panels were wall papered. This floor has four bedrooms and a full bath. You will see two bedrooms that are connected and the second floor porch. The windows in the bedrooms are casement. In the master bedroom a ribbon row of windows faces the east. This room is connected to the next room and that room opens onto the full width front deck.

On the third floor is a master bedroom suite which includes a bath and full size bedroom. This was probably servants quarters originally and was divided into smaller rooms. Now it serves as a guest accommodation for family visiting from out-of-state.