1336

This Tudor-style Arts and Crafts home on a corner lot was built in 1905. It was remodeled in 1949 and the first floor breezeway was added to be more modern for the time. The Arts and Crafts elements of the home were thoughtfully restored by the current owners in 1999 while, at the same time, updating it for 21st century living. The architect is Berkley Brandt, who also designed the home at 1340 West Berwyn less than six months later.

The façade of the home is defined by the grand front porch that is supported by natural wood beams on either side of the entrance and a cluster of beams at the corners. Brackets from the beams are shaped like gothic arches. The original railing of straight wood balusters, in clusters of three, with a horizontal cross support is distinctive. Originally the porch had one set of steps, but a second set was added toward the left into the yard. The sliding glass doors from the addition to the patio and the staircase built to match the original porch stairs were added in 1999. The brick patio in the yard was installed about 10 years ago, but appears to have always belonged there. The wrought iron fence is not original. Note the metal bracket on the garage wall where the original metal fence met the garage. Also note the amazing garage door put on in 2005.

The brick on the garage is similar to the brick on the home but differs slightly, so the garage may have been added later. The breezeway connecting the house and garage is a different stone, and was stained by the current owners to provide a more continuous appearance.

At the second floor level of the façade, the architect defined the style of the home as Tudor by the use of half timbers over stucco. This Tudor style can be found on some of the earliest homes in Cochran’s third addition to Edgewater, and it seems it was an option on some of the homes Cochran had built on speculation.

The original front door opens into an outer vestibule with another door into the foyer. This provides an airlock. Above the door is a fixed glass panel with a design of four small squares. This design is repeated in the design of the windows of the home. The inner door likely had leaded panes. There are eight small cut-outs where the lead met the frame. Once inside the spacious foyer, there is easy access to the living room on the right, the dining room on the left, the staircase straight ahead and the kitchen just to the left of the stairs.

A previous owner was a carpet contractor, so the floors were primarily covered with carpet up to 1999. Many of the hardwood floors are original, as are the beautiful radiators. The woodwork had been pickled and altered in the 1949 remodeling. The current owners stripped and refinished the woodwork and very carefully replaced missing molding and trim. They had knives made to exactly match the profile of the existing woodwork moldings.

The focal point of the living room is a wood-burning fireplace, which is a restoration done in 1999. The fireplace and mantel had been changed sometime after 1949. The current owner undertook the detective work of removing the remodeling and examining the structure in order to replace it with a design more in keeping with the original house. It now closely resembles the original, based on clues during renovation- including the size, color and corbelling of the bricks and the location of the mantel. The windows in this room follow the pattern of fixed windows above and casement windows below.

In the previous remodeling, the dining room ceiling had been lowered. With its removal, the owners found the shadow marks of beams, but no beams. So the beams were reinstalled by using the model of the beam that was visible in the front hall. The windows in this room form a wide bay with four casement windows and fixed divided lights above. Note that the original pocket door between the dining room and the foyer is intact.

The kitchen has been remodeled and enlarged with Arts and Crafts cabinets along both walls. There was a staircase for servants in the northeast corner of the kitchen, but it was taken out in previous remodeling to make room for a kitchen eating area. Note how the oversized refrigerator front closely matches the surrounding walls. The countertop is granite. The casual eating area is now in the additional room to the west where the current owner opened up the ceiling, added a wall on the west side and redesigned the space for casual use. This room, which was once a breezeway, now includes an opening onto the patio and a full bath. Space was captured from the garage to create a back hall. The basement under the breezeway was lowered 16 inches, and the foundation was underpinned to create an exercise room.

Note the beautiful windows as you go up the stairs. These may have originally had stained glass, since they are placed there for light on the staircase. Near the top of the stairs is a small door that gave access to a ham radio antenna installed by a previous owner.

On the upper floors, the unusual interior doors and oval handles are original to the home, although some have been moved to new locations. The built-in dressers in the closets are also original though some have been relocated. The original closets, unchanged until 1999, were long, with a door at one end, a dresser at the far end, hooks along the side and small windows for light. These closets have now been updated. A former linen closet and the space occupied by the second bedroom closet has been turned into a full bath. There are two bedrooms on this floor in addition to the master suite.

The master bedroom suite has the original pocket doors, which could previously be closed to create two tandem bedrooms. The fireplace here is decorative. By closing off the original bathroom from the hall and capturing some of the space from the original larger landing to create a walk-in closet, the new owner was able to create a master suite. The walls in the bath are subway tiles and the hexagonal tile floor is in keeping with the original design of the house. The fixtures are newer.

The third floor west room is the only unchanged room in the entire house. The east room wall was moved to provide a larger bath. These rooms were most likely servants quarters. The landing railing is new, made to match the original staircase railing. The east guestroom is equipped with a breakfast kitchen. These are now becoming quite popular, and the current owners were 10 years ahead of the trend.