This building has been transformed from a commercial building to a home. It was once the site of the Edgewater Dairy. It was built in 1906 by architects J.F. & J.P. Doerr and was used as the transfer point for milk to the surrounding neighborhood. In those days, there were many small dairies that may have produced butter and cream and even cottage cheese. In its day, it had a loading dock in the rear facing the alley. Before trucks were used, the horse drawn wagons were pulled in to be loaded up with the day’s orders. Those days are long gone and the building has taken on a new life.
The redevelopment of the site retained the setback from the street so that as you enter the yard you have a full view of the façade. It has been covered in Chilton Rustic stone. A central addition has been made to accommodate the entrance. This area provides space to hang coats and store them. On the façade, a recess has been created either side of the entrance that opens into the interior rooms. In the center of each are glass doors that open onto the front terrace. Each door is appointed with two light fixtures.
Once inside, the beauty of the space is outstanding. Every attention has been taken to create a feeling of openness and harmony. The floors are 5” wide cherry plank floors. To the left of the entrance hall is the living room with custom fireplace surround.
On the opposite side is the dining room and kitchen. The cabinets are white pine from Linea Quattro. The granite covered breakfast island seats four. The appliances are Miele, Subzero and Dacor. The dining area includes a custom built-in buffet. Light is brought into the room through glass block windows on the east side of the room.
These rooms open onto a hallway that connects to a half-bath, the laundry and mud room and the door to the two-car garage. Also off this hallway are the two ensuite bedrooms and an exercise room. There is also a second connection to the garage from the opposite side. This area of the building was once the loading dock. What a transformation!
From the living room, there is also a staircase to the second floor. Though this is not visible from the front yard, it was there even when the dairy was in operation. When the owner purchased the property, it had a winding spiral staircase to the second floor.
The staircase opens into the sun room, which is surrounded by a roof deck. From the sun room, it is three steps down to the Master Bedroom suite. The focal point of the room is the custom fireplace on the east wall. This 1000 square foot area includes a closet and laundry at the east end and spa master bathroom at the west end. Among the features of the spa is the steam mist shower and the Zuma Chromatherapy Air Tub. The tiles are onyx and there are two custom built vanities. In addition to the bidet/toilet, there is another toilet in a separate room.
Throughout the building, attention has been paid to every detail. The materials are of the highest quality and space design provides an atmosphere of elegance. This building has been transformed from a run-down under-used commercial building with storage to a beautiful home.