This home, like the one at 1701, was built in the 1895 Judson Brothers subdivision of the Mount Pleasant plat. Charles J.A. Nelson subdivided lots 6 and 7 into three lots for these three houses. He was the contractor for the home sand they were built at a total cost of $8,000. The permits on 1907 were dated June 10 and 11, which was noted in the Chicago Tribune. In this home you will see a unique adaptation of the interior space.
When the current owner purchased the home, it had already been sided, probably in the past 15 years. The other alteration was the removal of the wooden columns and replacement with brick pillars. This probably dates from the 1920s. The design of the façade is the same as 1701 and the third story window and front hall window have been preserved. The front door has been beautifully restored with glass to let light into the entrance hall.
In the entrance space, the staircase has been restored and the paint removed from the banister and newel post. Though some walls in the home had been removed, they have been restored and the replacement woodwork is a copy of the original. The oak floors have been replaced because of severe damage to the original flooring.
The living room and dining room have been made into one large open space. In the living room, the fireplace and book shelves have been added in harmony with the style of the original room. The front bay window is in the original location. In the dining room, the owner has paid attention to light and added a window to the east wall to brighten the area. The opening to the kitchen has been adjusted to improve the kitchen workspace.
In the kitchen an additional window has been added to allow more light in this room. The new cabinets are cherry and the counters granite. The back of the home opens onto a brick porch of the same vintage as the brick columns in front. This porch is another project for the future. The new oak floor extends into the kitchen and the hallway. The half-bath has updated fixtures and a five panel door. The next door goes to the side entrance.
The configuration of the rooms on the second floor is the same as 1701. The maple floors have been refinished. The bathroom has been done in black and white tile with a vintage design on the floor. The owner is in the process of making other changes to the second floor rooms, possibly creating a more modern bathroom and adding space to the back room, which opens onto the porch. Vintage homes like these present a lot of challenges in both maintaining and updating the kitchens and bathrooms.