This home, on the corner of Paulina and Farragut, is one of three built by Charles Nelson in 1907. The lots are part of a 1895 subdivision of Mount Pleasant by Charles and Nathan Judson from blocks 34 and 35 into 20 lots. We have been told that this was a farm that was subdivided. In 1907, Charles J. Nelson bought lots 6 and 7 and subdivided them into three lots for the three homes we see today. Lots 6 and 7 faced Paulina and would match the lots of the two-flats to the south. Like many wooden houses in the 1920s and 30s, these homes were covered with siding to protect them from the elements. But in 1991 this home underwent a restoration and the original siding is what you see.
The house is a front gabled building with a slight rise at the end roof line near the gutters. At the end of the gables there is a box like form. The eaves are the original bead board. From the street the home has a more horizontal look because the narrow board siding is not interrupted with details. It has a partial front porch and two symmetrically placed windows on the second floor and an original leaded glass window in the attic. Each window has its original moldings with crown moldings on the top. The porch has been beautifully restored with composite columns and straight slat handrail. The owner, in doing some research on the home, came across some builders plan books from the 1900s that show homes quite similar to this one.
The entrance hall includes a staircase and a window with a leaded glass ogee pattern design of clear glass and a staircase. The lower part of the walls has a wainscoting with wood dividers which may be oak. All the woodwork has been painted white except the stair treads and the handrail. The balusters are straight wood in keeping with an era that has been influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement and has said good bye to Queen Anne and turned wood spindles. The flooring is a narrow board oak flooring which is not typical of the era. There is an opening to the living room and to the back of the house.
The living room has a bay window facing the front of the house. The original ceiling fixture was missing and the owner is looking for a replacement. From the living room you can see through the open area into the dining room. This passage way has two framed entrances with about two feet between them.
The interior wall of the dining room seems to be an addition. The back of the dining room opens with French doors onto the screened in porch. Above the dining room table is a beautiful brass period light fixture. There is a bay window facing the street and a built in buffet on one wall. The cabinetry matches the kitchen which was redesigned in 1991. The kitchen has newer counters and an eating island. It also has an exit to the back which leads to the cozy back yard. While in the kitchen take note of the original heat vents with a sunburst pattern.
Back toward the front of the house there is a half bath which appears to be original. Then a side exit and a return to the front hall. On the second floor you may be surprised at the arrangement of the rooms. Towards the front of the house is one wide room. Usually this is the master bedroom but this appears to be too narrow. Next there is a guest room. This room has the owner’s grandparents’ bedroom set from the 1920s. Across the hall is a full bath which is quite large. The floors are maple but the boards are the regular width. All the doors have five panels which became popular after the turn of the 19th century.
The bedroom at the back of the house is the master bedroom. It has windows looking both east and south. At one end of the bedroom is a large walk-in closet with built in cabinetry. In this room take the opportunity to look at the door hardware which is original and quite unique.