This is the newest home in the tour. The permit date for this home is April 24, 1918. The architect is A.E. Norman, who built many buildings in the Edgewater area. The cost was $7,500 and the builder was Oscar Peterson. The original owner also owned the house at 1638 Farragut. What is most unusual about the home is how it is situated on the site with a side drive and porte cochere but with no garage.
The architectural style shows the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement with the tapered pilasters on the façade and the open brackets under the eaves. This is most noticeable in the porte cochere which has the original tiled roof and brackets. The design of the façade includes a three sided front bay with casement windows which are replacements for the originals. Above each window is a fixed window which allows even more light. The sills of these windows are limestone and below them are limestone brackets.
The entrance is on the side under the porte cochere. The front door is original with a pattern of glass panels that indicates the Arts and Crafts style. Once inside you will ascend a small staircase which makes a turn to the large reception hall which is in the center of the house and showcases the beautiful staircase. The newel post and all other posts are original.
Towards the front of the house is the living room, which has been redone. The original floors have been stained ebony. The two windows to the east were hidden by previous owners and discovered in the remodeling process. Also during that process, the narrow arched doorways were expanded wherever possible and redesigned with slightly curving arches.
The dining room has casement windows along the west wall and doorways to the back sun porch and the kitchen. The kitchen once was a long room from the entrance hall to the small back open porch. The house did not have a first floor powder room so, in order to add that, the current owner altered the floor plan of the kitchen and made the bath accessible from the reception hall. This required a new entrance to the kitchen from the dining room and, in the process, the owner discovered that there had been a door there originally. The kitchen now has oak floors stained to match the others on the first floor. Just off the kitchen, the once open back porch, which had been enclosed years ago, now serves as a breakfast room.
The staircase turns to open into a large hall at the top. Towards the front of the house is a large bedroom with windows on three sides. The ceiling in this room has been raised. Off the hallway there is a small bedroom serving as an office and the original bathroom, which has been updated with new fixtures and tile.
At the back of the home is the large master bedroom, which has been made from two rooms. This ceiling has also been raised. The suite includes a dressing area, a hidden laundry and a beautiful master bath with walk in shower and skylight.