This home and the one at 5332 Lakewood were essentially the same before additions and alterations. It was built in 1894 at a cost of $2000 and the original family lived in the home until 1992. The architect was Julius Huber. He designed five homes in Lakewood Balmoral in 1894. (For more information about Julius Huber, search our web site)
The façade of house is a combination of an octagonal shape on the right and the long sloping roof on the left, which merges into the new octagonal sun porch. A smaller front porch was replaced in the 1920s and then the current porch was created by Greene and Proppe Design in the 1990s. Much of the detailing of the home is Queen Anne. Note the third story window.
During the past renovation, the current owners were able to uncover some of the history of the house. It had been stuccoed in the 1920s and then, in the 1940s, the stucco was removed. Then, in the 1990s, all new siding was installed. It has now been returned to the original narrow board siding with shingling above.
The current sun porch and small entrance porch incorporate the porch with the original design of the house. The original front door is now at an angle. With the addition, the front hall was enlarged and a small powder room added. This room has windows facing the porch and another large window. The original windows from the front of the house, small beveled glass windows, were relocated to the larger reception hall. All the doorways and windows have either the original woodwork or replications where required.
The reception hall has Bradbury and Bradbury wallpaper. The hanging light is original to the house. The globe is carved alabaster. The floors are top nailed white oak with inlaid cherry and mahogany. This type of flooring dates to the era before 1900 and is valued for its design and craftsmanship. This room features the base of the staircase. The wood on the staircase is all original and the spindles are in a twisted design. You may go up to the first landing for a closer look at the original stained glass.
The parlor to right as you enter the hall features the original fireplace with oak mantel and fluted columns and the original tiles. A delicate beaded design is formed in an oval below the mirror. The coved ceiling has been accented with a molding and the wallpaper from the Bradbury and Bradbury collection enhances the room with a border above.
The dining room has a pocket door. On the south wall is a small stained glass window to catch the light. The room has been opened up with the removal of a butlers pantry and addition of French doors onto a new porch.
The kitchen has undergone a complete renovation. The eating area was part of the addition. The bead board wall panels and cabinets give it an old fashioned flavor. The oak floor is stained and painted in a geometric design by artist Zileka Venitos. This room is connected to the front hall and, by a second staircase, to the second floor for the servants.
This restoration received the Good Neighbor Award for best single-family restoration, given by the Chicago Association of Realtors. The home has been featured in Better Homes and Gardens and is soon to be seen in Cottage Living.