Charles Bostrom of Bostrom and Olson, a well known area construction firm, built this classic American Foursquare. The permit dates from March 12, 1909. It is located in John Lewis Cochran’s 4th Addition to Edgewater. Mr. Bostrom was well known to Mr. Cochran, since he built many homes in Cochran’s other subdivisions of Edgewater.

The influence of Prairie School design is evident in the wide front porch, which extends across the full front with only two pillars at each end of the porch. These pillars are narrow at the top and wider at the base. The front porch has a flooring with a natural finish and is tough despite exposure to the weather. The current owners believe that the wood is hickory, which is not generally available. The porch is a lovely room in the summer, providing a cool setting from which to observe the activities of the neighborhood.

When you enter the home, you are in a reception hall with a lovely oak bench with mirror and hooks. This was used in an earlier age when owning more than one coat and hat would have been unusual. In the reception area is the staircase to the second floor. The design shows the influence of the Craftsman and Prairie School design with its emphasis on simple lines and shapes.

This reception area opens onto the living room through a doorway with solid oak pocket doors. The woodwork in the living room is oak, but was painted by previous owners. All the woodwork is original, including the crown moldings on all the doors and windows. At one end of the living room is a fireplace with bookcases on either side. On either side of the fireplace are beveled, etched glass windows in a geometric design.

The living room opens into a beautiful arts and crafts dining room. The beveled and etched glass design of the windows in the living room is repeated in windows on either side of the built-in sideboard. This beveled glass design is also repeated in the sideboard doors. The effect is a kind of shimmering light. A second built-in cabinet is on the opposite wall. It too has a beveled and etched glass door. The room has a double plate rail in oak, which is used to display plates and platters. Below the plate rail the wall has been painted in a terra cotta color, which was introduced by the Prairie School to complement the oak woodwork. When the current owners bought the home, the woodwork in this room had been painted white in several layers. Their restoration efforts have created a beautiful room.

The kitchen has been updated with cabinets and counters and yet retains the feeling of the original. In 1909, a cast iron sink with legs and a wooden icebox would have been installed. The stove may have been coal and gas and any cabinets would have been free standing. There is room in the kitchen for a cozy eating area.

The staircase to the second floor makes one turn and opens out onto a central hallway. The original floor plan had four bedrooms, all about the same size. The previous owners decided to combine the two front bedrooms into a master bedroom with more storage. The room now features four beautiful windows, which run across the front of the home and flood the room with light.

Two other bedrooms and a bath complete the living space. The backyard and garden are beautiful and open for your viewing.