St Paul's Evangelical Church (closed)

Very little information has been found with respect to this congregation and its building at 1527-29 W. Edgewater.

The Economist of August 24, 1895, shows that a permit was issued for a church building at 831 Edgewater (old number) to "Catholic Bishop," but this attribution is in error.  Thus, this wooden building would be Edgewater’s fourth oldest church structure, the first three being the Church of the Atonement, Epworth Episcopal Methodist Church, and Summerdale Congregational Church.

The 1905 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows the building as St. Paul’s Church as does the 1929 Sanborn Fire Insurance map.

A Chicago Tribune item dated October 21, 1945, reporting on a meeting of Evangelical and Reformed congregations shows the name of the congregation as the North Shore Church.

The Reverend Otto Kuhn was pastor of the congregation from at least 1910 to at least 1920.