Seventh Church of Christ Scientist: History of Church Building(s)
The first church building in the 5300 block of Kenmore was built in 1907-1908, with the formal opening taking place on April 26, 1908.
The following is a description of the building taken from an item in the Chicago Tribune of April 26, 1908:
"The new building is at 2385-93 Kenmore Avenue, and has been erected and furnished at a cost of $112,000. On the main floor is a foyer 20x127 feet, from which entrance to the auditorium is made. The auditorium is finished in gray and white, with maghogany pews which provide seats for 1,500 persons. At the west end of the auditorium are the readers’ desks, and back of them is a large three manual pipe organ."
The building was demolished before 1979 and services were then held in graystone two flat which the congregation had earlier purchased. Later, a new small one story reading room structure was constructed at the northwest corner of Berwyn and Kenmore and the two flat structure was demolished to provide for on-site parking.