Ebenezer Lutheran Church: History of Church Building (Currrent)


Groundbreaking for the current church building on Foster took place May 30, 1904, with the cornerstone being laid not long afterwards on July 24th. The basement was completed and available for services by October the same year. After that there was a long delay. Construction of the upper structure did not begin until August 1907, with the sanctuary not available for services until the fall of 1908; however even then the sanctuary was far from being finished. “Due to a shortage of funds, the installation of the alter, pulpit, pews and baptismal font, paintings, and decorating was delayed.” It wasn’t until 1912 (Ebenezer’s 20th anniversary) that the upper sanctuary was fully completed and formal dedication services were held.
The architect for church building was Andrew E. Norman, who was also a parishioner.
Though the completion of the church took nearly 8 years, the congregation erected a two story frame parsonage immediately to the east in 1905. This frame house was demolished for the construction of the parish center that began in 1928. The original parsonage and the new parish center were also designed by Andrew E. Norman.
The church building underwent two major renovations. The first was a repair of the two steeples. Work began in May 1977 and was completed in September when they were rededicated. The second was a renovation of the sanctuary. Work began in May 1987 and was completed by November 1st. “The restoration project had included new lighting, carpeting, and new hardwood floors in the chancel area. A narthex had been created under the balcony and was separated from the main sanctuary by a glass partition. The sanctuary was plastered and painted, and stencils from the original building were restored. In addition, there was a new free-standing altar, the pulpit was moved to the east side of the chancel area, and the choir was moved to the west side.”
Source: pamphlet: Ebenezer: Living Stones; One Hundred Years of Mission.