1851 Ridgeville Township Road Map
Map of the Counties of Cook and DuPage, the East Part of Kane and Kendall, and the North Part of Will, State of Illinois,
Compiled by James H. Reese, Land Agent, Chicago, 1851
Chicago Historical Society Collection (ICHi-36660)
The yellow box above highlights the area surrounding Ridgeville Township, Illinois. To see an enlarged version of the highlighted area, click here for a PDF.
Note: The boundaries of Ridgeville Township were Central Street in Evanston on the north, North Avenue in Chicago on the south, and Western Avenue in Chicago and Asbury Avenue in Evanston on the west. Ridgeville Township was established in April, 1850, and was succeeded by Lake View Township in April, 1857, when Evanston Township (encompassing what is now the City of Evanston and the Rogers Park community area), was set off. In 1853, the southern boundary of Ridgeville Township moved north to Fullerton Avenue when the City of Chicago annexed additional territory.
Below is an “annotated” version of the highlighted area. The yellow box indicates the boundaries of today’s Edgewater (Devon on the north, Ravenswood on the west, Foster on the south, and Lake Michigan on the east). The blue text indicates the original street names (if known) and the current street names (in parentheses).
The green arrow points to 7-Mile House near what is today the northwest corner of Clark and Ridge. The green street names next to the yellow box show where current Edgewater E-W streets would be.