V28-2 Unity Lutheran Church

Vol. XXVIII No. 2 - SPRING 2017

In 2017, Unity Lutheran Church, Balmoral at Magnolia, celebrates 100 years in the Viehe-Naess building!

Two Celebrations will take place this summer:

  • Centennial Banquet, Saturday June 3, 2017 (for information call 773-878-4747 or check our website www.unitylutheranchicago.org
  • Centennial Worship with Bishop Miller of the Metropolitan Chicago Synod, ELCA, Sunday, July 9, 2017.

We are also offering an exhibit in Unity’s art gallery with pictures and information on our history.

Unity Lutheran Church began meeting in 1905 in a storefront at 1136 W. Argyle Street, after a neighborhood canvass by the General Synod of Northern Illinois found many unchurched people in the Edgewater community. Unity’s 43 charter members built a chapel in 1906 at the corner of Balmoral and Magnolia with the help of the synod and First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Altoona, Pennsylvania. The growing congregation built the current church in 1917. The original chapel is now the gym.

The “new” building was dedicated in June of 1917 and designed by member Ivar Viehe-Naess. The original Chapel building was also designed by Viehe-Naess, and dedicated in 1906.