News from Old Edgewater
The first non-daily newspaper that included news about Edgewater (as best we can tell) was the North Shore Suburban, published weekly from 1895 through 1899 by Marion A. and J. Harrison White. It is hard to believe now, but Edgewater was considered part of the North Shore as late as 1911 (along with Argyle Park and Rogers Park) – at least by the Whites. From time to time we will publish news items from this newspaper that pertain to Edgewater. Here is the first:
“It is a great pity that Edgewater is to have another Beer Hall. The first was one too many.” Editorial, October 4, 1895.