On December 6th, the Chicago Landmarks Commission considered four properties as possible Chicago Landmarks. They are mansions on Sheridan Road owned by the Chicago Park District and Loyola University.
Those owned by the Park District are the two mansions in Berger Park. The two owned by Loyola University are the Wheeler Mansion at the Sheridan Road turn and the Schmidt Mansion on the east side of Sheridan Road.
These Mansions were in the proposal to create an Historic District at the north end of Edgewater in order to preserve some of the original buildings from Edgewater 1886-1920. John Lewis Cochran was the developer of Edgewater who subdivide the North end in 1889. Now, in the 21st century, the uses have changed, but the exteriors tell the story of the plan of Edgewater in the late 19th century.